Thursday 3 July 2014

Travel Tales ... No cyclists have been hurt .... Yet!

This is my first blog of my travels... Well my trusty travel companion and I made it to Amsterdam later afternoon on the Tuesday the 1st of July with many adventures along the way. From check in I was not impressed with emirates service or pretense of care. I usually book through QANTAS, being a frequent flyer member, my chair details are all on file, and I do not have to repeat the same questions every time I fly, ,how heavy is it' when I reply with 135kgs depending on what scales (it has weighed from 128 - 145kgs at various domestic airports within Australia. 'Is it wet or dry cell?' I say 'dry'. At Emirates check in I got the 'you're-to-hard' basket exhalation.

In the end I had to Trwnsfer at check-in to one of their manual aisle chairs; when I had rung qantas to ensure I would get to keep my power chair till the gate. Not only is it more efficient for me to stay independently mobile (in any situation) but it also means one two less hours of sitting in discomfort. I think only people who are in a chair themselves, or know someone close in a chair would get that. Despite the hiccups, I medicated and managed to get some sleep on the longest flight (Brisbane to Dubai) and the transfer at Dubai wasn't too painful; oddly enough they have a divine 'special assistance' lounge, but with no facilities there to stay and drink. Was a strange but no unpleasant experience.

When we arrived at schipol airport in Amsterdam, I had just assumed we would get my chair back, which was like sliding back into my second skin, it was heavenly comfort and freedom, after 23 or so hours apart; being reunited with my ride was beyond description in words. Let's just say I had a little tear at seeing my sexy studyly steed! Side tracked there - so I thought as I had done in the past we would collect luggage (all 3 cases, and yes a 2/3 of mine large case were shoes) and go out and get an accessible taxi from the taxi rank; travel tip for future travelers to this beautiful city. If you do need an accessible taxi where your chair is not collapsible or the weight of a small car; you need to book in advance. I have since  discovered just two taxi companies which have accessible vans conexxion and Saddlers (although says they're a UK company). Usually you also need to book in advance at the train station you are embarking and disembarking on. We were very lucky to have the airport help desk and guard take swift action, and get us on a train within 10 minutes of realizing this to be our only option. I believe this is was a small miracle on the train companies part - they were ever so helpful.

But what a site we must have looked I was straddling and somehow monkey gripping a small suitcase perched on my foot rest, with 2 back packs and our duty free goodies. My assistant was skull dragging the two big suitcases Luckily our hotel was two minutes from the train station - right next door! It was all meant to be!! We made it to our room dropped our luggage, got out what we needed had a bathroom stop, and headed out to find a bar.

Along the way we stumbled upon one of Amsterdam's famous or infamous (what ever rocks your world) alleys of aromatic smoke coffee houses. We didn't stop, but it is on my to do list (as are many other things in this amazing city) our first bar/eatery was a quaint little place (I ca't recall the name of, but all link to all the places we went when I return home) where we chatted to a local gentleman and just enjoyed the people watching, but on that first outing we discovered bikes have right of way to cars pedestrians scooters, trams, buses, and just about anything they share the road, alley, or footpath with. My companion spent that whole journey dodging bikes running from one side of the road to the other, yelling 'sorry' as she went. I am sure we were pegged as tourists from the first site. In our matching 'homie' sweaters, and 'deer in a headlight look' at times.


We have laughed till our sides ached, and tears poured out, we have taken in people watching, and it's only our second full day today! It's been a dream, or wish of mine to come to Amsterdam since I was a young teenager, and read 'the diary of Anne Frank' and  learned much about the history of this place. To be here is still a little surreal, but seeing it, smelling it, feeling the rich culture and old world charm - I feel so blessed, but not lucky, I've made this happen by choices I've made and actions I've done. I am proud of myself for having earned and worked to get here (basquing in a bit of self appreciation there).

Sadly my lil travel buddy isn't with me on this trip, but he will be coming with WHEN I come back to Europe. I say WHEN not IF, because it's my dream to score a dream job here, for a few years once I graduate in 2015/2016.

It's 8am here, and 4pm at home so it's perfect timing to Skype home.

Until my next travel adventure story,

Stay happy, love life, and laugh lots! Lisa xx    

1 comment:

  1. Amsterdam, home of my grandparents! One of my favourite cities! You will have a wonderful time. Sometimes not the best access as its an old city but you will work it out! Sounds like you already have with prebooking transport. Take a canal cruise- you see a lot from a boat and there is access. And the Rijks Museum + Van Gogh Museum great if you appreciate art. Heineken Brewery tour is accessible with a few detours . Have a ball Lisa xx Dag!

    ReplyDelete